Saturday, October 10, 2009

movies of books

usually, i am snobby about this. i hate it when people watch the movies of books, before they read the books. but yesterday, i couldn't wait when my brother told me about this book by nick hornby. i was really excited, because he said it had the same humour as another book i like bidget jones' diary. anyway, but my mother was reading the book, and me and my brother really felt like watching the movie, and so he went out and rented it at like ten at night and we watched it. the movie of the fantastic book:

high fidelity




if you haven't seen it you really should, the cast include john cusack, joan cusack, and jack black. its about a guy that makes lists of everything. top five lists. and through out the first half of the movie he explains the top five break ups in history. anyway, im not explaining it very well, but it has an awesome soundtrack, which i am going to save up to buy, because there are heaps of songs it in, so it will be bloody expensive. aand, they also mention heaps of rreally cool songs, so i am going to go through the book and write down every song the mention :) and then get the movie soundtrack as well. its my type of music, it might not be yours, but even if it isnt i will promise you that you will like the movie just the same because it fits it so well. oh, he also has a record label store. oh, and he is awesome. a few good lines from the movie (seeing as i havent read the book, because my brother has started reading it now, meanie)

*******************
Laura: Listen, Rob, would you have sex with me? Because I want to feel something else than this. It either that, or I go home and put my hand in the fire. Unless you want to stub cigarettes out on my arm.
Rob: No. I only have a few left, I've been saving them for later.
Laura: Right. It'll have to be sex, then.
Rob: Right. Right. 



*************************************
Rob: Sometimes I got so bored of trying to touch her breast that I would try to touch her between her legs. It was like trying to borrow a dollar, getting turned down, and asking for 50 grand instead.


**************************************


Barry: Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go. Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?


****************************************

Rob: Charlie, you fucking bitch. Let's work it out.

***************************************

Barry's Customer: Hi, do you have the song "I Just Called To Say I Love You?" It's for my daughter's birthday.
Barry: Yea we have it.
Barry's Customer: Great, Great, can I have it?
Barry: No, no, you can't.
Barry's Customer: Why not?
Barry: Well, it's sentimental tacky crap. Do we look like the kind of store that sells I Just Called to Say I Love You? Go to the mall.

***********************************

Louis: I don't have that record... I'll buy it for forty.
Rob: Sold.
Louis: Now why would you sell it to me and not to him?
Barry: Because you're not a geek, Louis.
Louis: You guys are snobs.
Dick: No, we're not.
Louis: Yeah, seriously, you're totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you shit onto people who know lesser than you.
RobBarryDick: No!
Louis: Which is everybody...
RobBarryDick: Yeah...
Louis: That's so sad.

*********************************

Barry: Let 'em riot. We're Sonic-fuckin'-Death Monkey.

*****************************

im sorry, i would give you quotes from the book, but it would ruin it for me, and coming up, exerpt from bridget jones' diary (which there is also a movie of, but not as good, because mainly, it has colin firth in it, and he fails at acting, and at screen kissing, in a major way, unlike john cusack who is bloody awesome in a really ordinary way, which he is supposed to be. anyway, john cusack, good actor)

excerpt from bridget jones' diary (book)

Oh God. Why can't married people understand that this is no longer a polite question to ask? We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, "How's your marriage going? Still having sex?" Everyone knows that dating in your thirties is not the happy-go-lucky free-for-all it was when you were twenty-two and that the honest answer is more likely to be, "Actually, last night my married lover appeared wearing suspenders and a darling little Angora crop-top, told me he was gay/a sex addict/a narcotic addict/a commitment phobic and beat me up with a dildo," than, "Super, thanks." 


i find that so halarious. 



No comments: